Stop Operation Green Hunt
Since the beginning of November 2009, Operation Green Hunt is being conducted in India.
This is a concentrated military action under the leadership of the central government in Delhi. Up to 70,000 forces of the police, special commandos trained for jungle warfare (CoBRA) and paramilitary forces, supported by army airplanes and the US-secret services, are involved in this counterrevolutionary offensive under the pretext of the so-called “war on terror”.
The operation was preceded by the ban of the Communist Party of India (Maoist) in entire India, their being added the so-called “anti-terror” list, as well as the tightening of the so-called “anti-terror” laws. These now allow arbitrary arrest for up to six months without any reasons whatsoever or without raising charges. They serve to justify open state repression and the severe restriction of bourgeois-democratic rights and liberties. That includes the repeal of the right of assembly up to the arbitrary arrest of journalists who have supposedly made themselves liable to prosecution because of their solidarity with the justified struggle of the masses.
This campaign had its origins in the brutal repression of the protests of the Adivasis (indigenous people) who opposed the establishment of special economic zones in the interest of international monopolies in Lalgarh (West Bengal). Since November 2009, dozens of villages have been completely devastated and the inhabitants driven out. Hundreds have been arrested on account of arbitrary accusations and leading representatives of the protest movement are in prison.
Despite some differences of opinion on the tactics of CPI, they deserve our sincere international solidarity against the massive restriction of democratic rights and liberties.
- We demand the immediate release of Kobad Ghandy, Ravi Sharma Anuradha, Sri Chhatradar Mahato, Raja Sarkel and Prasun Chatterjee and of the other political prisoners! For the immediate repeal of the so-called “anti-terror” laws and the ban of the CPI (Maoist)!
- For the immediate end of Operation Green Hunt and the retreat of all deployed forces!
- For the criminal prosecution of those responsible and the complete compensation of the victims of measures of state terror!
- Long live international solidarity!
- Workers of all countries, unite!